John Carr (Liverpool) Limited is a family run business for over 4 generations.
Since the founder John Carr started the business around 1896, It continued to be run by the sons and daughter of John Carr around 1936.
It was incorporated in 1939 hauling lump lime, granite, & limestone, from North Wales, Yorkshire & Derbyshire. When the brothers
returned from WWII the business expanded during the boom time. During the 1950ís new premises had to be found for the increased
demand of traditional white & black ash mortar. Sand from Crosby shore line was manually shoveled onto wagons for the ever increasing
demands of lime sand mortar, and delivered to the new factory at Village Street, this was manually shoveled into the mortar mills
were traditional Lime Sand Mortar were made.
During the late 1950ís bigger premises had to be found to accommodate further demands of traditional Lime Sand Mortar, again more space
was needed for new mortar mills, loading shovels, & bigger delivery vehicles. During the early 1970ís a new state of the art lime plant
had been commissioned taking ground quick lime from Buxton, slaking it, producing and storing liquid lime putty for the production of
Lime Sand Mortars. This operation still exists today in the manufacturing of all our Lime Sand Mortars. During the early 1970ís demand
grew for skipped deliveries of Lime Sand Mortars along with a new and modern range of colours. Coloured lime sand mortars had been
developed for an ever changing market. Today there are over 150 standard mortar shades, a long way from the black & white days.
The Early 1980ís to present day saw the development of Ready To Use Mortars, & Ready Mixed Sand & Cement Floor Screeds,
a more hassle free version of building techniques in this day and age, offering consistency, performance, & quality.
It is presently run by two of John Carr Grandsons, & Great Grandson. Our company prides itself on its heritage and is always
looking to the future in developing the next generation.